Last week I showed you the top I made for my MIL’s B-day, remember? Well today is My Mom’s B-day! So Feliz Cumpleaños Mamá!! And as part of the celebration, I will show you how to make this top! Maybe it can be the Mom’s B-day Top!! 🙂 The process is not very complicated and if you are making one for yourself I will describe the measurements I took, so you can adapt them to fit you. Here a better look of the top:
For the top I used some left overs I had of red polka-dot Chiffon, and I wear the top with something under it because the fabric is see trough, but you can make it with your choice of fabric, so you can wear it alone. I used thin satin black ribbon for the button holder and a black button.
- Top Front: The width for this piece is your bust, I added to my measurement 1 inch on each side for the folding, plus 1.5 inches on each side for comfort. So you need to add 5 inches to your bust to get the width. For the length I measure from the center top of my shoulders to my hips, adding 2.5 inches for the bottom fold. The width of the neck is my measurement from shoulder to shoulder, because I wanted some folds in the front, and I lower the cut in the neck about 1.5 inches.
- Top Back: The Back Is basically the same piece, but without the lowering of the neck and with a cut in the center.
- Stripe for the bottom: You can make this piece, or you can use elastic in the bottom for the bubble effect. However length you want by 1.5 inches wide.
- Neck stripe front: Measure around your neck and add 2 inches for the folds, mine is 1.5 inches wide.
- Neck Stripe back: Same as front piece.
- Neck Ruffles:the length depends on how ruffly you want the neck, I did twice the measurement of the neck Stripe front and back for mine, by 3 inch wide.
[Click Images to Enlarge]
NOTE: Since my fabric is see trough, I folded all the edges and sew them, so it would look better than just sewing and securing the edge with a zig-zag stitch, but this is just my choice, you can do it differently, according to your fabric.
I love this top, is so comfortable and the ruffles make me feel very girly 🙂 Let me know if you make it I will love to see, Happy Sewing!
* This tutorial is provided for personal, non-commercial use only.
Check the Site policy at the bottom for further information, Thank you!